For the Bible says:
“If you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness and with the mouth, confession is made unto salvation.” Romans 10:9-10
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”Romans 10:13
We all know the meaning of the word Salvation or the act of being saved. We see someone picked up by a lifeboat and we say they were saved from a watery grave; or someone rescued from a burning building and claim they have been saved from a horrible death; or someone after healing from cancer that they have been saved from a deadly disease.
Now the main theme of the Bible is salvation. The word salvation or saved occurs well over 200 times. In Hebrews chapter 2 verse 3 says, “how shall we escape if we neglect so great salvation?” Why is God’s salvation that God has provided for us so great?
- Because it is not only for this life but for the after life. The bible tells us that death is not the end (Hebrews 9:27, “And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,”)
- This salvation is only for them who know their need of the Saviour our Lord Jesus Christ. Let me illustrate. A man does not need a fireman unless his house is on fire; or a man does not need a lifeboat unless he is drowning; or a man does not need a doctor unless he is ill. Jesus spelt this out in his teaching:
Matthew 9:12, “Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick.”
Mark 2:17, “When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance”
Luke 5:31. “Jesus answered and said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician (doctor), but those who are sick. I have not come to call the righteous (i.e. those thought were alright), but sinners, to repentance.”
The Bible points out we are all sinners, and explain why we are sick and die physically (Romans 5:12, “Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned”)
Romans 3:22-23, “..Even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,” There are different degrees of sin. We see that in our society but the fact is we are all sinners.
- 1Timothy 1:15 says this is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
- This salvation provided for us was costly. (John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, foretold in the Old Testament, see Isaiah 53. On the cross Jesus took the judgement of our sin voluntarily on Himself that we might be saved from that penalty. See Roman 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.”Also 2 Corinthians 5:21, “For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him”, also 1Peter 2:24, “who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness—by whose stripes you were healed.”
- This salvation must be taken, just as medicine must be taken given by a doctor. See again Hebrews 2:3, and John 1:10-13, “He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.”
- Alas Salvation can be missed. Note knowing about Jesus Christ will not save you. You need to receive Him as your own personal Saviour.
“The Lord is my Shepherd I shall not want.” (Psalm 23:1)
“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.” (John 5:24)
About the Writer – Eric Vetters (87 years of age, as of 2012)
“It has been 76 years since I asked the Lord Jesus into my life and what a help and a blessing He has and is to me. I have preached the Gospel in England, Canada, America and also the Bahamas – Eric Vetters”
Mr Eric Vetters has been preaching the gospel for many years and he still preaches upon invitation. He holds bible study class morning and evening, four days a week. His love for Christ and the fire in his eyes when he talks about the things of God never cease to bless me.
HEAVEN AND HELL ARE REAL
Some people believe that they are a good person and they deserve to go to heaven when they die. Others may say they have been going to church for many years and have read the bible many times; this should qualify them to heaven.
Are you sure about this? Do you know the Lord Jesus personally? Knowledge of Him doesn’t get you to heaven, only by receiving Jesus Christ as your Personal Saviour that you will receive eternal life.
The bible says all have sinned and fall short of God’s Glory’ (Romans 3:23). Our Creator has a very high standard of the definition a ‘good person’. The truth is, no one is good enough to go to heaven on their own merits, and it is sin that separate us from the Father God in Heaven. The wages of sin is death. Not physical death alone, but eternal death in hell.
People may ask, how can a loving God send people to hell forever? Well, God has allowed man the privilege of being a free moral agent. He will allow us to go to hell and spend eternity there if we so choose.
However, in His mercy and love for mankind, God has provided a solution for us all. By repenting and accepting Jesus Christ as your Personal Saviour you will receive His gift of righteousness; your sins are all cleansed by the blood of Jesus. This also means you have a right standing with God the Creator, our Heavenly Father.
Salvation is a gift from God. It’s free. But Jesus Christ had paid a costly price for it so you and I can spend eternity with Him. He gives us choices – to choose life or death.
“Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!” (Deuteronomy 30:19-New Living Translation)
I hope you will make a wise choice today. Jesus Christ came to set the captives free, to heal the sick and the broken hearted, to bring hope to the hopeless. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. “No one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14:6)
There is a heaven to gain and a hell to shun. Please make a decision while there is still breath in you.
PRAYER OF SALVATION
you are ready to make a personal commitment to follow Christ, all you have to do is reach out to Him in prayer. He is listening and waiting to come into your heart and help you live a better life. If you’d like to pray and receive Christ as your Saviour, you can use this prayer as a guide:
“Dear Heavenly Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus. I acknowledge to You that I am a sinner, and I am sorry for my sins and the life that I have lived; I need your forgiveness.
I believe that your only begotten Son Jesus Christ shed His precious blood on the cross at Calvary and died for my sins, and I am now willing to turn from my sin. You said in Your Holy Word, Romans 10:9 that if we confess the Lord our God and believe in our hearts that God raised Jesus from the dead, we shall be saved.
Right now I confess Jesus as the Lord of my soul. With my heart, I believe that God raised Jesus from the dead. This very moment I accept Jesus Christ as my own personal Saviour and according to His Word, right now I am saved.
Thank you Jesus for your grace which has saved me from my sins. Therefore Lord Jesus transform my life so that I may bring glory and honour to you alone and not to myself .Thank you Jesus for dying for me and giving me eternal life. Amen.”